Blackjack is one of the most popular skill-based casino games. The better the player at applying Blackjack strategies, the more the chances of winning. The objective of the game is to create a hand as high as possible without getting over 21. To learn how to play Blackjack is not rocket science. However, playing like experts requires time and practice. This blog throws light on the basics of Blackjack game and strategies that can significantly increase your chances of winning or at least not losing more than your set bankroll.
Basic Rules of Blackjack: Before starting to play Blackjack, a player should be familiar with the rules of the game. In this game, you are dealt with two cards face-up, whereas the dealer is dealt with one card face-up and with one card face-down (the hole card). The objective of the game is to have the value of your cards more than the dealer but without surpassing the figure 21. Once you get your cards, you have an option to either Hit (which means you want another card to get close to 21) or Stand (which means you want to stick to the cards you already have). If you an Ace and a Ten, you have a natural Blackjack. If you have a natural Blackjack, the dealer will pay you 1.5 times your bet, barring the dealer also has a natural Blackjack. So, if both the dealer and the player have a natural Blackjack, the result is a tie: neither you nor the bank wins and the chips are returned to the player.
Blackjack Strategy: One of the most important things that you must understand about Blackjack is that it is a game of player’s decision. So, if you want to increase your odds of winning at Blackjack, you must get yourself familiar with the basic Blackjack strategy.
1. Hit or Stand: To hit means asking for another card. When you indicate to hit, the dealer will give you another card. You can hit as many times as you want until you have a hand of 21 or you are burst. When you indicate to stand, you will not get any other card and the game ends with the cards you already have.
2. Double Down: If you think you can make 21 with your next card, then you double your bet in the middle of your hand. It is vital to know when to double down and take into consideration the dealer’s card also. Why you need to be extra careful about when to double down is because it’s just one extra card you get. And in case, you have cards that total 4 or 5 or 6 going for double down could turn out to be a risk not worth taking.
3. Split: This is another strategy that most novice players aren’t aware of. You can choose to split when you get two cards of the same denomination, which means that both the cards will be treated as separate hands. So, you will first begin with one of the pair you have by standing or hitting and then on the other. The bets will also be separate for each hand, not half to each one or just one. Never split pairs of 4s, 5s, or 10s and also don’t stand on numbers 12 to 16 if the dealer has a total of 7 or higher.
4. Insurance: Anytime the dealer shows Ace as a face-up card, you will get an option to take insurance. This is a side bet. It means that you have posted a side bet which is half of the original wager. If the dealer’s face-down card is a 10, you win the insurance bet and get double the amount of your half-bet. However, as the dealer has the Blackjack, the hand gets over and you lose your main bet, barring you have a Blackjack too.
5. Surrender: If you think that the odds are not in your favour and you have a very weak hand, it’s better to surrender. This means that you want to surrender half of your original bet in situations where your chance of winning a hand is very slim. You can surrender before making any bet, and therefore save half of your bet.
So, Blackjack is not a guessing game. It is a game of math. There is a different way to play every hand being dealt to you. The easiest way to learn Blackjack is by playing online for free. Sign up for free on Gamentio and practice on the Blackjack table as long as you want to become confident about your gameplay. Start practising today and learn different strategies to improve as a player.